2016 is coming to an end whether we like it or not, few more weeks and we will welcome a new year. So, what does 2017 looks like for CamelBak? Well, I don’t know what lies ahead of them but one thing I know for sure is that they have quite a few new products that will soon be out to the public. I have to admit that these new gears are remarkably awesome!
CamelBak needs no further introduction. You can ask anybody about hydration systems and guaranteed that the first thing that they will say is CamelBak. They’ve been in the sports industry since 1989 and trust me…they know how to deliver. I’ve been given the privilege to review some of their products in the past and you can read those here and here.
I know your anxious to find out these new gears so let’s cut to the chase.
Quick Stow Flask & Quick Stow Chill Flask
Quick Stow Flask & Quick Stow Chill Flask
These are the newer addition to the CamelBak lineup. These flasks are soft sided bottles created from the same material as their Reservoir which gives it a much better feel in the hand. These are collapsible soft flasks and the main difference between the two is that the Quick Stow Flask is not insulated while the Quick Stow Chill Flask is insulated and keeps the fluid cold 2X longer. Below are some of the features for both flasks:
· 17-ounce capacity.
· Big bite valve.
· Leak proof shut-off valve.
· Large-mouth opening is easy to fill with ice and water and a breeze to clean.
· Compact, lightweight and packable.
· 100% Free of BPA / BPS / BPF.
· Dishwasher safe.
· Volume indicators.
· Easy dry hanger loop.
Ultra Handheld Chill
Another new addition to the CamelBak family is the Ultra Handheld Chill. It is a holster made of 3D ventilated mesh designed to accommodate the insulated Quick Stow Chill Flask. Ultra-runners are absolutely loving this new system as it offers quick and easy access for hydration. I have a few handheld hydration systems but this one is definitely the best as it offers so much comfort and the variations on how I can properly secure and carry it on my hand. I have a Nexus 5 and it fits perfectly inside the zippered pocket but any phones bigger than that like the iPhone 6S or Galaxy will not fit. Notable features of this are:
· It is made of 3D ventilated mesh.
· Provides multi directional air flow and cushioning to maximize comfort and breathability.
· Secure elastic strap that you can customize depending on how you want to hold it.
· Zippered phone pocket
· Small stretchable pocket for gels and extra fuel.
· Reflective material for early and late evening runs.
As we always say “there’s always room for improvement”…so that’s what CamelBak did. They did some enhancements to an already great hydration bladder, the Crux Reservoir. This reservoir comes in 3 different capacities (1.5L, 2L and 3L). Below are some of the upgrades that you’ll see on this new reservoir:
· Increased in tube diameter which now offers 20% more fluid delivery per sip.
· One silicon piece big bite valve.
· More intuitive “on and off” lever ideal for one hand operation.
· Angled bite valve for easy access.
· Longer cap holder for easy filling (it’s like holding a frying pan).
· New cap that flips away so it’s not inhibiting while filling or re-filling.
· Ergonomic and easy to screw on cap.
· 100% free of BPA, BPS and BPF.
The Circuit Vest is one of CamelBak’s top seller that received some new cool upgrades. I was already impressed with this year’s model but I’m even more impressed with the new one. If you’re not familiar with the Circuit Vest, it’s the small version of the Marathoner. Similar to the current models are these features:
· 2 large storage pockets in the front. You can even fit water bottles or the Quick Stow Flask.
· Dual side cinch fit system, designed to prevent water from sloshing and close to the body.
· Sweat proof pocket on the strap that lets you carry your phone and other running essentials.
· A total of 6 pockets.
· Reflective material located on the front and back.
Here are the new upgrades for 2017:
· A new 1.5L (50 ounces) Crux reservoir.
· A new 3D ventilated mesh material that offers multi-directional air flow and cushioning to maximize comfort and breathability.
· A new dual adjustable sternum strap that you can reposition based on your comfort and liking.
I really love the new features of the Circuit Vest especially the 3D ventilated mesh that offers so much comfort during hot and muggy conditions. On top of that is the new Crux reservoir that offers more fluid per sip. Lastly, is the easy access for the new angled bite valve and the “on and off” lockout system can be done with just one handed operation.
Ultra Pro Vest
Fresh from the drawing board is the Ultra Pro Vest designed for competitive ultra-runner or minimalist runner (like me). This is mainly designed to accommodate the new Quick Stow Flask that fits perfectly on the front storage pockets.
· Two 17 oz Quick Stow Flask that are lightweight
· 3D ventilated mesh that offers multi directional air flow and cushioning to maximize comfort and breathability
· Secure phone pocket
· Dual adjustable sternum straps for increase stability and offer a range of adjustments for customization
· Stretch overflow pocket that serves as extra storage for gears or a hydration bladder storage
· Built in whistle for safety
· A total of 8 pockets
· Available in 3 sizes [chest size] (S: 28-34 in) (M: 32-40 in) (L: 38-46 in)
The Ultra Pro Vest is somewhat similar to the Circuit Vest except that there is no side cinch that you have to adjust. Though there are no side cinch, their sizes are close to a perfect fit. Not having the side cinch eliminates any unequal pressure on the sides cause by accidental over tightening.
Since this is designed for minimalist runners, keep in mind that this doesn’t come with a hydration bladder. However, the overflow back pocket is still capable of holding a 2L (70 ounces) reservoir in case you need to for longer training / races and if there’s minimal support along the course. I’m a big fan of the Circuit Vest but I love the Ultra Pro Vest more. It’s lighter and more versatile in my opinion. Similar with the Circuit Vest, the 3D ventilation mesh is an outstanding piece of material that is so comfortable and it helps circulate more air fresh air around my body.
Note: These gears might still be out of stock on CamelBak's website but you can get them at REI.
Circuit Vest: Click here
Ultra Pro Vest: Click here
Hydration is the name of the game regardless of whatever sports or activities you do in life. This is even more pertinent for endurance athletes that need to perform on the highest level. This new gears offered by CamelBak will surely and can bring you to your next level. I am highly satisfied with all these gears and I shouldn’t be a surprise…it is expected from a brand like CamelBak.
CamelBak is not all about business like other companies, they make sure they build a strong relationship with their customers and meet their demands. Their products are built and tested to last for a long time and perform according to its function.
CamelBak stands behind their products … Like they say: CamelBak® Got Your Bak™ Guarantee: If we built it, we'll Bak it™ with our lifetime guarantee.
Check out these new gears for 2017 and I bet you’ll love it!